Mutton (large pieces) 1kg
Oil/Ghee 4 tbsp
Onions (sliced) 4-5 medium
Ginger garlic paste 2 tbsp
Curd (whipped) 200g
Mint leaves ½ cup
Coriander leaves ½ cup
Rice (soaked) 750g
Ammikal Masala 1 packet
- In a pan heat the oil/ghee and fry onions on medium high heat till golden. Remove half and keep aside.
- To the pan add the ginger garlic paste, mutton, Ammikal masala and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add half of the mint and coriander leaves, curd and 3 cups water (add only 1.5 cups if using chicken), mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover and cook till the meat is tender.
- Remove cover and cook on high heat till oil separates from the gravy. Keep aside
- In a separate vessel boil 3 litres of water. Mix in 3 tbsp of salt and add the soaked rice. Reduce the flame to medium and cook till the rice is 80% done. Drain all the excess water and keep the rice aside.
- In a deep vessel spread half the rice. Layer the meat curry on top of the rice. Cover with the remaining rice. Spread the fried onion and the remaining mint and coriander on top of the rice. (Sprinkle some saffron soaked in milk if desired).
- Cover tightly and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes or until the rice is done. Mix and serve.